Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Day One - Who I am

Well, Folks, it's official. I am starting my blog. I have spent the past few years reading, listening and forming my opinions. But first, it is probably appropriate to tell you a little about my background.

I guess I was raised in the American Dream. My father was a child on a small Mediterranean island off the coast of Sicily when the Allied Forces invaded during WW II. Growing up I heard stories about his childhood, it seemed like an almost fictitious, fantasy world which I was finally fortunate enough to visit with him when I was in my early 20s. Meeting relatives I never knew and seeing where my roots were had an everlasting affect on me. Dad came to the US in 1958 and began a life here that would make any man proud. The thing that stood out among all of his stories and memories was the image of my grandfather. He was well known on the island as a very stubborn, hardheaded man. I have been told, and it was confirmed upon my visit there, that my grandfather was thrown in the town jail on no less than four occasions for making pro-American statements in public , something that Don Benito, I am sure, did not approve of. If it weren't for my grandmother's cousin who was a circuit court judge, Grandpa would most like have been executed.

Instead, once the war ended, my grandfather saw to it that each and every one of his children made their way (legally I might add) to the US. Then he, along with my grandmother, came to America and Grandpa's dream was fulfilled; his family was in America and he would die here. In June of 1966 he did just that, buried just a few short miles from my childhood home and a place where I would go as a child and still today as an adult, to talk with both him and my grandmother ~ One of the greatest men I never knew.

Thankfully, my maternal grandfather was a significant part of my life and I was blessed with him for some 26 years. He too was of Italian decent, first generation as a matter of fact and just as patriotic as my paternal grandfather. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in 1941, Grandpa, like many Americans, left his wife and five children and joined the US Navy. He was a kind, warm, gentle man and would take any opportunity to laugh. He was extremely proud of two things, his family and his service in the Navy. The walls of the family bakery were filled with family photos and photos from Grandpa's time in the Navy. One of my favorite stories is the one told by my mom and her siblings. In late 1945 after victory was declared, they all crowded around one of those floor model old-fashion radios listening as the naval ships gradually returned to dock in Norfolk. For days they sat there wondering if the boat was still afloat as news was not as instantaneous as it is today and the concept of military security actually existed back then. Still today, some 62 years later, not one of his children can tell the story without crying as they tell of the yelling and screaming and tears of joy that flowed the moment they heard that the USS Estes had been identified on the horizon and was steaming its way into port.

Just a few years ago, through the marvel of the Internet, I found a man who served with Grandpa and remembered him well. Aside from the wonderfully kind memories he had of my grandfather, he told us that he was on deck with my grandfather as they watched the Marines raise the flag on Mt. Suribachi. Something that I never knew. But I am sure that Grandpa stood their proudly and with tears in his eyes as that flag was raised, proud to be an American.

So, with that brief introduction, you can imagine which way the wind is blowing on this blog. Here is just a quick list of random thoughts that you can expect to see expounded on here.

The War on Terror

Immigration

Hillary Clinton

John McCain

John Kerry

The lack of real Americans in Congress

The issues with the Press trying to mold opinion instead of reporting the news

The sacrifice and pride of our fighting men and women in harm's way

Why we should fear Nancy Pelosi

... and lots of other wicked stuff that will come out of Washington over the weeks and months ahead

So, sit back, get some Joe or your beverage of choice and blog with the Proud Infidel! My next entry will attempt to explain why I have named my blog as such.

Until then, remember ....
"Only two people have ever willingly given their lives for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier".

No comments: